Sunday, January 26, 2014

Pescetarian- the Pros


1st Meal as a Pescetarian- Chicago 


I have been a pescetarian- minus a few slip ups- for almost a year now. It has been completely surprising to me how easy it was and how little I miss the foods I have given up. The most difficulty I have is when I go out to restaurants, or when I go to someone's home who doesn't know or accomodate for my food preferences. Conversations about my pescetarianism usually happen, you guessed it, around the dinner table. These conversations usually revolve around or start with one of the following questions:

"HOW can you live without steak?!"
"Is that healthy? You need meat to get all your essential nutrients."
"That's an interesting choice...Are you against hunting now?"
"Why would you want to do that? Don't you miss meat?"

So I thought it was time I explained some of the pros, in my life, to making this change.

1. I have become much more creative with cooking, and try different cuisines whenever possible- next up I want to try something Thai.
2. I still get to eat many of the foods I love. This is part of why it wasn't that difficult for me to make the switch. I can still have my eggs, sushi, tuna sandwiches, pancakes, pasta, CHOCOLATE, etc whenever I want.
3. I have learned a lot about healthy eating simply because I dont eat meat. This means I have to compensate protien and iron into my diet via other foods and/or supplements. Beans-black, kidney, pinto- along with nuts, avacado, and leafy greens are my friends. I have also developed the taste for tofu and soy products- veggie burgers, veggie hot dogs and sausages, vegetarain sandwich "meat", chik'n nuggets are my go to for quick meals.
4. I have far less digestive problems and stomach issues than before. WINNING.
5. The only meats I have actually had cravings for are: venison- guilty of indulging-my dad is an enabler, bacon- only one slip about a month after I switched, and the Parrot's Cay chicken wings- haven't even tried them once.
6. And last but not least- this doesn't HAVE to be a permenant change. I am free to try to reintroduce certain meats into my diet as I want to or I can keep on rockin' the non-meat diet.

So here's what it really comes down to- It's my choice and I dont care if you want to eat steak for dinner every night for the next 40 years.  This choice is working for me- making me feel healthier and helping alleviate digestive issues I was having. But don't think for a second I am above having some of that venison my dad brings with him when he visits- because that stuff is way too good to pass up.

~ Anne

PS- I'll do a post on the negatives as well, for the sake of showing both sides. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment