Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Resolution- Yoga

Thanks Google

I know that traditionally resolutions are made the beginning of the year.   However, I believe in continuously evaluating and re-evaluating my goals and needs. So in keeping with this idea I am making a resolution in March to go to 1 yoga class a week (except when my yoga instructor-Kay- takes her vacations or I am out of town) for the rest of the year.  Some people would consider this an easy challenge, and those people would be wrong.

While yoga is an amazing exercise that stretches and strengthens muscles, it is FREAKIN' DIFFICULT.  I am not flexible. I land on my face while awkwardly trying to get into poses.  My balance is way out of wack.  I am hyper active and don't do quiet time.  I burst into fits of laughter.  Basically yoga and I have issues.

Despite these issues, yoga teaches me so many things:

How to be patient and steady during a workout- you can't rush yoga. 
What muscle groups are strained from my last week of running. 
Endurance.
A better understanding of my body's limits- when to push them and when to give them a rest.
How to let the day go and be happy in this moment.
To not get discouraged by messing up and falling on my face.

Yoga is an exercise of the mind as well as the body.  By practicing yoga I hope to learn control over my thoughts and attitude, increase my flexiblity and posture, and finally for the first time ever- be able to do a back bend.  Yoga is a great cross-training day and break from my running schedule.  So bring on all the Tree, Mountain, Warrior, and Happy Baby poses.

~Anne

2 comments:

  1. I think every day is a great day to add new goals to our list. We are always changing and evolving. January 1st is a great day to set goals but every day should be a great day! I kind of compare it to Thanksgiving. We are definitely most thankful around this time but we should be thankful everyday!

    Also, thanks for checking out my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I love setting new goals through out the year! :)

    ReplyDelete