Thursday, February 20, 2014

Journal Day




A lovely blog I follow decided to bring back the days of high school english class with journaling.  The following is her prompt:
Everyone has a time in their life they view as a crossroad. Sometimes you can see it as it's happening, and you're able to choose one way or another. Other times you may not realize you're there until you look back, and see what a turning point it really was. This week, write about a time you view as a marker in your life; a distinct place where things changed, for better or worse.  
These writing prompts were one of my favorite things in english class because instead of being graded on grammer or punctuation, a student was encouraged to write anything they felt or thought. In true journal day form, my response was written in about 7 minutes of straight writing and is unedited. 
When I first graduated from college I had a choice- to move across the country and start a new life, or to stay right where I was. I had always wanted to experience living in a different part of the country, so when I chose to stay I think I surprised everyone-but mostly myself. The timing wasn't right, the person wasn't right, and the whole situation felt off.  
So I stayed, with only a part time job and a friends guest bedroom to crash in. At first I thought i had made a huge mistake- I don't have a full time job, I don't have an appartment, and I just broke up(finally) with my boyfriend. Then, a few weeks in, life started falling into place. I found a full time job. My old friendships grew from good to incredible. I met my fiance. And I learn so much about myself. I learned that I have friends and family who will support me in any decision. I learned that I am resourceful and that I can rebuild. I learned that I know what is best for my life and that I have to own my choices.

Sometimes the best and happiest times develop and grow from the scariest and worst. These last couple of years have been an amazing learning and growing experience in my life, and I am glad I chose to stay where I was.
~Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment