Thursday, November 7, 2013

Making a Change

In March of 2013 I went on a trip with my friend of about 18 (maybe more) years.  Sarah and I took a train from Fargo, ND to Chicago, IL. The train ride was long and delayed, but we still managed to have a grand time eating cheap personal pizzas and dreaming of Goose Island brewpubs.

On this trip I made the crazy and unexpected leap from life long omnivore, verging on carnivore, to pescetarian.  A pescetarian is basically a fish eating vegetarian.  This change happened completely unintentionally and was unnoticed until we started our train ride home. I felt completely different after a week of fresh produce and less fat, despite the fact that we consumed copious amounts of beer.  My stomach had been bothering me for months and finally it no longer hurt and I felt so much healthier.  So since then, other than a few minor hiccups, I have remained on my "fish" diet.

The main issues I encountered during my switch were after I returned home to ND.  The abundance of options suddenly disappeared at restaurants and I was left with a choice of a house salad or mac and cheese.  Now both of these are good options, but it makes going out a little boring when there could be so much choice.

The next issue was the reaction I received from many people who have known me for years.  They couldn't believe I would willing give up so many delicious food options.  I have had many friends ask me how I can stand to go to my old favorite haunt, the Parrot's Cay, and not get their main attraction-hot wings.  Believe me when I tell you I have caved, and payed for it.   So if anyone knows of a place in ND with a good veggie burger, please let me know. ;)

1 comment:

  1. Ground Round has a pretty good veggie burger!
    I didn't know you had a blog. I'm interested in reading it, as I am (recently unsuccessfully) attempting to switch to pescitarian as well :)

    ReplyDelete